Image Map

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

When You Can't Get in the Kitchen, Get in the Bar.

It all started when Maddy ordered the "margarita" ie lemon juice with tequila and salt. When Maddy had me try it to figure out what was wrong with it, I almost spit it out and immediately called Giovanni, our server, over. I asked him how he makes a margarita, and he gave me the above ingredients. I had to save this guy, he was a crime against margaritas around the world.
Instead of being invited to the kitchen, I was invited to the bar. After making him a this margarita
2 ounces Tequila
1 ounce Cointreau
3/4 ounce Lime Juice
& Salt for the rim
he asked is he could learn how to make a mojito.
He's lucky this cook went to college. Finally, all those years of...studying...were coming in handy!

Only one problem- they didn't have simple syrup! I told them I was sorry, but I just couldn't make them a mojito without simple syrup. They asked what I needed to make it. A burner and a pot. Check out what I got.
A burner and a pot! Sweet.
Mint simple syrup it is!
Steeping the mint, just picked in the hotel's garden, in the syrup!
Master Muddler Giovanni stepped in to muddle the limes. Quick tip- Don't muddle the mint leaves. Two reasons. One: the leaves get caught in the straws if they are a muddled mess. Two: it just looks cleaner. The mint simple syrup carries plenty of mint flavor into the drink.
Mini ice crusher!
Going to town on mojitos! The entire staff turned into my guinea pigs for the education series "Lessons in Lemon Drops, Jager Bombs, and other Obnoxious American Drinks."
Mojitos:
2 ounces Rum
1 ounce Mint Simple Syrup
Picked Mint
Club Soda to finish

You know what I'm realizing? The ability of food, drinks included, to bridge completely different cultures is incredible. You don't even have to be able to speak each other's language to create something together. Food is such a cool medium for communication. Mannn...I love food more every day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment