Image Map

Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Street Life

I took some shots as I wandered around Rome visiting different delis, butchers, specialty shops, and street markets. I was amazed at the products you could have at your fingertips there, but then I wondered if Italians feel this way about our markets. Like, "Wow, Sahlen's Hot Dogs with all natural casing? No way!" But most likely, they don't. I couldn't help but pick up a bunch of items I know I'd miss in the states- the olives, white truffle paste, a handful of seed packages. I foresee two problems in my near future: Attempting to get into the States with these things, and trying to start a window garden in my new NY studio apartment. I'm sending the San Marzano seeds over to Lara at the farm for next season, but I'm going to try to sustain an italian herb garden in my apartment all winter long. Definitely going to pose a challenge.

Truffles...
and Bottarga at the deli!

Some shots from the Campo de Fiori farmers market...
And my favorite picture from Rome...
Something screams wrong about this.

2 comments:

ihoc said...

I just got a good laugh after following a trail from my blog linked back to yours and realized I knew exactly what apartment you're talking about and who u r (kinda).

Without the leaves on the tree u may just get enough light to pull it off in the winter.

Velisa and I will be in Italy for a few weeks in october and November because I will be there for the slow food Terra madre conference. Thanks for the Rome gelato tip...gelato is an obsession of mine. I look fwd to some more spots for us to eat at this fall.

Enjoy!

forkmylife said...

You must be Jared! That's funny- I'm really excited to test out this Brooklyn window garden- hopefully it works and I can leave you guys some herbs behind! There are two restaurants in Rome to try that are out of this world: Il Pagliaccio and La Pergola. That conference should be interesting- I'd love to hear about that. I hope you guys are having fun!

Post a Comment