Image Map

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Getting Southern! Week 4

Collard greens were so foreign to me when I first tasted them. They are often bitter or intensely flavored and a lot harder to work with than something mild like spinach. They absorb flavor so well though that cooking them this way makes them so delicious! When I was in Tennessee we used Benton's bacon to flavor our cooking liquid...actually we used Benton's bacon for everything, but our collard greens were superrrrrb! I couldn't get my hands on any Benton's nor could I locate some ham hocks, although I did scrounge up an old ham leg bone from the kind they slice at the super market. Okay, so I couldn't pick the meat off the bones and mix them in with the greens or find super crunchy pockets of bacon lardons in each bite, but it still flavored the batch well.


0 comments:

Post a Comment